Creating Good Leaders Through Development
If you run a business you know that there is never enough time in the day to get everything done. Do you also know that finding good managers is like finding a diamond in the rough. Some people are born leaders while at other times you have to create managers or leaders. Leadership development does just that. It is working with individuals to perform leadership roles within a company. This can be formal or informal training with the person of authority making the decisions and taking the responsibility of making the person they put in charge accountable for their decisions.
Getting Additional Responsibility
In any group of people regardless of technical roles or not, somebody usually emerges as a leader within a group of employees. Sometimes you get someone who gives their all to the organization and they are naturally helping run the company without the position or title. They are somebody who is good in situations where you need a temporary leader. In general leadership development has been individually focused on one person and works on developing the skills and abilities needed to be an effective manager. As mentioned before some people have natural leadership qualities while others need more formal programs for developing competent leadership skills.
Something that has been found to be effective is classroom style training and reading assignments. This does not work for all people but those who are truly interested in moving ahead in the company take the leadership development classes seriously. Success is based on a few different characteristics.
• individual learning abilities
• The quality of the leadership that is teaching the individuals how to be leaders
• True support from the leadership development supervisor
• Truly wanting behavioural change and make it happen
Personal characteristics of someone who will make a good leader
Leadership development involves being able to tell who will make a good leader. Some traits to look for are-
• Expects high levels of achievement from himself
• Someone who is open to new experiences and challenges
• Having a
• Great sense of focus and internal control
• Self-driven motivation. They do things with her someone is watching or not exactly as well.
• Self-monitored they don’t need to ask questions every few minutes and learn New things extremely quickly.
In order to create a successful leadership development program management must be willing to give feedback to those they are training and continually give them support. Positive reinforcement goes along way in keeping trainees in the leadership development program motivated.