The Best Way to Wash Your Curtain
Curtains when added to rooms can really alter the lighting and add sophistication and character to the space. There are different types of curtain available but no matter what type of curtain you use in your home; cleanliness must be your top priority. Do not let the dust accumulate in your curtains until they become very unsightly. Follow the following tips on curtain cleaning to ensure that they remain good as new.
For routine curtain cleaning:
Use vacuum cleaners with synthetic brush. They are gentler than natural materials thus are preferred when cleaning the fabrics of your delicate curtain. Moreover, make sure to adjust your vacuum to the softest suction as possible. If your vacuum does not offer a suction strength adjustment knob, you can always use a stocking to cover the nozzle to reduce the suction and protect your curtain from direct contact. You can also opt to remove your curtain and hang them outside to have them aired out. This will avoid them being damp and garnering a lot of microbes.
Curtain cleaning in special situations:
- Curtains with intricate designs such as embroideries or patterns need to be sent to the dry cleaners for cleaning. This is because soaking them in water can make them shrink and ruin the pattern.
- Velvet is very heavy when soaked in water. To avoid this hassle, you can opt to just remove the dust every now and them by soaking a chamois cloth in water, wringing them thoroughly and brushing the velvet with them gently.
- Silk curtains should be cleaned by washing them in waters with lukewarm to cool temperature. Be very gently with the strokes and use mild dishwashing detergent so as not to ruin the delicate cloth.
- Curtains that have incurred lots of sun damage. Curtains that are always exposed to sunlight may become brittle. To avoid ruining them make sure to wash with very gentle strokes and mild detergent or setting your washing machine to gentle clean. Avoid hanging them in a clothesline under direct sunlight. This will increase the damage. Instead, you can opt to dry them in a dryer with a minimal heat setting.
- Sheer curtains should be washed more frequently than other types because they might sustain permanent stains when left unwashed. Also they are very delicate and need the gentles setting of your washing machine. Moreover, when drying them, it is better to include other cloths to avoid too much heat being focused on them.
When drying, make sure that the curtains and shade not make contact with wood or other surfaces which can transfer their pigments to the curtain as this may incur permanent stains on the curtain. One of the best window treatment is the plantation shutters.
When curtain cleaning, it is best to have an assistant especially when rehanging them to avoid the bottom parts from touching the ground and getting dirty again. When ironing fleshly laundered curtains, do so on the opposite side to avoid your curtains from easily looking old and worn out.
Contact the best curtain and blind cleaning Melbourne service here.